Malcolm's America Trip

A report on my recent trip over a lot of the Eastern half of America.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Clementon Lake

The first surprise park of the tour was Clementon Lake, home of the coaster formerly known as Tsunami but now going under the moniker J2. The park is small in size and serves the local community pretty well, at least given the number of people enjoying themselves when we got there, late in the evening.

People gathering patiently waiting for the J2 ERS. For me this was the worst coaster on the trip, it was just too violent a ride for me and I was having to fight with the ride or else I think the vibrations would have caused my mandible to detach from my skull. The park had been up for sale for some time and I think the park had invested in this ride to boost the likelihood of a buyer being interested. Whether they had maintained the ride as much as they should have isn't so clear.


Having said that it is a lovely looking coaster that totally dominates one end of the park and the skyline. If only it rode as well as it photographed.

As hard as it is to believe the most fun ride in the park was the Big Wheel. It didn't offer anything that any other wheel offers other than the most amusing ride operaters of the trip. The girl controlling the gates was telling the girl controlling the wheel when to stop and when to go back or forward a bit. Because she couldn't get the wheel lined up correctly they resorted to trash talking each other, in a friendly way I might add. "Don't you be saying my ass is big" was perhaps the best insult traded.

The park did have another coaster called Jack Rabbit that was quite well known. If they're not looking after J2 then this one didn't stand much of a chance either. In fact its nothing more than a pile of wood that happens to look like a coaster. Its very unlikely that this will ever open again.

I think its sad that in the age of political correctness this ride had to be renamed. It was Tsunami before the other one hit, and unless the park owners consult clairvoyants, it was nothing more than a coincidence. It's a shame that this one had to change when there are still countless Tornados, Hurricanes and Cyclones still out there.

As with all the parks we'd been to so far (except Coney) the park had invested in adding a water park to the main park, and just like elsewhere the heat ensured it was well used.

Either they're not maintaining the theming under the Jack Rabbit or they've accurately recreated the day Geronimo's wife was crapped on by a rather large seagull.

I had a moan in an earlier post about the number of participants in the ERS decreasing as it went on, and rather hypocritically this was exactly what I had to do here. I did give the ride a second chance but came off just as put off as the first time. There were a good number of people who liked this ride, and hats off to them. It just wasn't my cup of tea (or should that be "bottle of J2, Oh!") . Someone had said that The Voyage was a longer version of J2. I hope not!

Interesting Sign #8
"Riders seated in last car must be 54" or taller!"
This is perhaps the only ride with this rule, it's because the forces at the back of the train are very strong and too much for most.

I don't ever see myself going to Clementon Lake again, at least not in is current form. There's just nothing there to excite me, sorry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home